WELCOME

Thank you for checking to see "What Is On My Mind Today!" You will find a wide range of things interest me and I hope you will add your comments too! I look forward to reading what you have to say.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Melissa Newman, Appalachian Fiction Writer

What's On My Mind TodayMy friend's mom is Melissa Newman and she is an Appalachian Fiction Writer.  In her past career she was an award winning journalist, editor and publisher. 

Out of the goodness of her heart, she is taking time away from her visit with her daughter to enlighten other journalists, screenwriters and writers at Cleveland State University. 

Last year, I had the honor of meeting Jeanette Walls, another former journalist who is now a creative, non-fiction writer.  She achieved success with her autobiography, The Glass Castle.

Rita Cosby, a broadcast journalist and successful author was just at Cleveland State less than two weeks ago discussing her father's life, her Polish heritage and the journey she made with her dad back to Poland. 

These ladies are just a few of many current and former journalists who have become successful as authors.

As everyone knows, I too, am a journalist and an aspiring fiction writer, praying to one day publish a book.

But I would like to take this time to thank each of them and anyone who shares their knowledge and craft with others, especially students. 

Thank you and keep on writing.

(I am ordering Sister Blackberry tonight, in hopes it will arrive before Ms. Newman's visit.  Everyone who knows me, knows if I get two days it'll be read way before she makes it to Cleveland!)

No comments:

Post a Comment